Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

John William Chidley-Hill

From Chesstalk
'...sorry to announce the passing of John William Chidley-Hill, ...valued member of Toronto's chess community.



John William Chidley-Hill in 2010
Photo - Egidijus Zeromskis

John played chess since he was a small boy at Bedford Park Public School and later as a member of the University of Toronto Schools' chess team. He went on to play in tournaments across Canada, especially in southern Ontario. Playing in speed chess tournaments on Saturday afternoons at Vlad Dobrich's Bayview Chess Club was a particular pleasure for John.

His funeral service will be Saturday, February 9, 2013, 1:30 PM, Forest Hill United Church , 2 Wembley Road, Toronto, M6C 2E9. Wembley Road is one block north of Eglinton on the west side of Bathurst Street.

In lieu of flowers donations to Forest Hill United Church, Dambusters Royal Canadian Legion Branch 617 , or Heart & Stroke Foundation of Canada, in John’s name, would be appreciated.'


'This is shocking... So unexpectedly.
He was the wisest man I've ever met in my life. I would always think to ask him if I had some problem or needed an advice in a situation. Every single story he used to tell me during the saturdays blits was very remarkable. He's helped many people, and a lot of people depended on him. Very sad. No words. My condolences...'-Artiom Samsonkin 


(February 8, 2013)
'I first met John many years ago at the Bayview Games Club, where we both shared our passion for chess. We crossed swords many times, and win, lose or draw, his etiquette was always impeccable. My brother, Todd (also a chess player), sister Karen and I also went to Bedford Park, and Todd also attended UTS. John and I became die-hard regulars of the Saturday speed-chess events, following the location around as it moved here and there. We became quite close, and I looked forward to seeing him every Saturday afternoon at the club.


Invariably, we would also discuss the goings on (mostly negative!) with the Blue Jays. Baseball was a HUGE passion of John's, rivaling even that of chess. I'm sad that he won't be here to witness the resurrection of the franchise this coming year, but if they win it all I know he'll be up there somewhere, quietly smiling and enjoying it in his special way. I would also bump into John at the more serious weekend chess tournaments.

We'd say hello or share a joke between rounds, sometimes in the hall between moves. Sometimes I'd go take a look at his game, and even if it was his move, he'd take the time to look up at me and give me that warm smile of his, as if to say "Hi, thanks for looking!" I found John to be a quiet, polite, warm, funny and smart man. Whenever I asked him about how his son was doing with his sports blog, etc. he literally beamed and lit up like a Christmas tree! He was so very proud of you, John.

The last time I saw John was at the Hart House Chess Tournament at the beginning of January. It was extra special to see him again since I hadn't been playing in the weekend blitz tournaments the last couple of years or so. We chatted briefly in the hall between moves, and I told him, "Maybe I'll come by the club again sometime." His response was simply, "I hope so!"

The Toronto Chess scene will not be the same without you, John. R.I.P. Deepest condolences to friends and family.'-Dave Southam chesstalk D Southam

Here is a recent effort of Chidley-Hill from the 2011 Canadian Open.


Chidley-Hill,John (1787) - Serbanescu,Natasa (1871)
Slav Slow[D11]
CAN-op (Pinnacle 48th CAN Op Ch) Toronto CAN (5), 13.07.2011


No comments:

Post a Comment